Sunday, June 15, 2008

Hey Lucky You, Lucky Me

A few entries back I talked about theme songs, and which songs seem to fit our lives. Given the events of the last three days, I'm submitting "Lucky Me" by Great Big Sea as Rachel's and my joint theme song:

He was born a sailors son
Nothing came easy or free
He suffered the squalls all the rises and falls
And everything else in between
But he says storms always fade after they've had their way
They're never as bad as they seem

As long as the rivers still run to the seas
Hey Lucky You Lucky Me

Who'd ever thought for a moment
She'd have to grow up so fast
School beauty queen with a child at sixteen
Swore that her fortunes had passed
But blessings can hide in the strangest disguise
I know that she would agree

As long as the rivers still run to the seas
Hey Lucky You Lucky Me

Hey look at me in the spotlight
Ripped jeans and rock and roll hair
Feeling so cool but I'd be such a Fool
Singing to no one out there
So Hey take a bow every band needs a crowd
And I've got a song we can sing

As long as the rivers still run to the seas
Hey Lucky You Lucky Me

I'll back up a little for those who aren't up to date. Rach had her graduation ceremony for three of her students on Friday, and was in disbelief at the outpouring of support and thanks given to her by students, families, and her administrators. I was not that surprised, for what she does is far beyond what most of us recognize: she takes kids who dislike the traditional school setting intensely for whatever reason, and gives them a place where they can learn comfortably. It takes lots of tough love, but amidst the "tough" part of that, her students really come to recognize the "love" part. It is an amazing process, and I admire her greatly for what she does.

On Friday I was unable to attend that particular ceremony, because I was participating in the Trek Across Maine. I'd hemmed and hawed for months as to whether I wanted to pull into the Middle School on our way through Dixfield. The positives would be that I could model for the kids about volunteering and doing things for a good cause, and I'd get to see my kids on the last day of school. The drawbacks would be disruption of the kids on the last day of school, and everyone seeing me in my tight bicycling jersey. By Friday morning I had decided that I would zip through the Middle School on my way to Weld, just to check in on my home room, who by that time should have been playing kickball in a 7th grade double elimination tournament.

At around 10AM the Cyclin' Cougars of SAD #21 pulled out of the rest stop in Rumford, and headed toward Dixfield. A phone call was placed to the central office, and as we wheeled up Weld Street about 20 minutes later, we were greeted by a small crowd outside Dirigo High School. It was nice to stop for ten minutes or so to chat, as other Trekkers whizzed by wondering why our team was pulled over, talking to people on the sidewalk.

The small group I was riding with then pulled out and headed north on 142, with a short side trip into Dirigo Middle School planned. They would be surprised to see me!
Well, the surprise was on me. At the end of the access road to the school, I was greeted by this sight (photo credits to SJ):




The seventh grade team was assembled by the road, cheering on other bicyclists as they went by, until our small group pulled into view. They then started cheering for ME exclusively, and after I pulled to the other side of the road to visit with them, completely shocked and at a loss for words, they gathered around asking questions about the trip, about my bike, about the other bikers, and anything involved in the Trek. It was a strange and humbling feeling, being a bit of a celebrity there on my own turf. I really didn't answer their questions very eloquently, but I hope everyone involved realized how touched I was by their kindness.

I am told this was pulled together by the teachers on my team, with help from the students. Whoever was responsible, it was an amazing moment in my teaching career as they chanted my name as I pulled away. The next twelve miles to Weld flew by, as I alternated between shaking my head and tearing up every time I thought about what they had done. Regardless of what our kids learn in their subject areas, it is clear that both Rachel's and my kids have somewhere learned the more important lessons: it is the connections we make with other people in life that matter most.

Lucky us.

5 comments:

Beth said...

you two are definitely role models and our community is fortunate to share you. Good song, too. We like Great Big Sea over here.

SJ said...

Glad that we could cheer you on! Thanks for the photo credits.

The Buck Shoots Here said...

It's hard to sum up how blessed I feel, but I do sometimes feel the Fates are shining upon us.

Thanks for the nice things you said about me. Lucky indeed.

Beth said...

Charlie posted a video of him performing a Great Big Sea song in New Zealand
http://cmaddaus.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

"When I Am King": a great one! I actually sang the line "the lights all green/the radio plays just the perfect song" at the top of my lungs on the Trek, when we hit a green light in Waterville perfectly. It's a good one.