Wednesday, September 10, 2008

It's Getting Ugly!



All right, so now the McCain/Palin crazies are trying to turn around the phrase "you can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig", which Obama used in a speech on Tuesday to characterize Republican policies. People, it's an old phrase. It's been used for many years to illustrate the foolishness of prettifying something ugly, but not changing it fundamentally (reminds me of a certain Republican ticket...but I digress...).

But then Good Ol' GSWLTF used this joke in her speech accepting the party's nomination for VP: "What's the difference between a hockey mom and a pitbull? Lipstick." Even I almost cracked a smile when she delivered this line. She'd obviously practiced it for comedic effect. Her timing was impeccable, and her delivery deadpan. I was impressed. But now, it seems the Republican Party seems to think GSWLTF has a copyright on lipstick or something. This will come as a bit of a surprise to Revlon, I'm sure.

Anyway, my take is this: Palin opened the sty door when she used the joke, and whether it was intentional on Obama's part or not, it seems to be fair game. The gun totin', caribou-killin', oil-drinkin', bridge-to-nowhere-lovin' VP candidate should be able to handle herself in the heat of a campaign, yet the chivalrous door holding white males of the Republican Party are stumbling over themselves to defend her honor. Meanwhile they make up lies about Obama wanting to teach kindergartners about the ins and outs of sex, and of consorting with terrorists. So a little comment about lipstick on a pig? Well, if the mud fits...

4 comments:

The Buck Shoots Here said...

I guess McCain was asked why he didn't choose Olympia or Susan. His answer was all the proof I needed that he picked Palin because she was ... pretty.

Unknown said...

Must be the lipstick.

SJ said...

What does Revlon have to say about it? Did they agree to support Palin? You know Heart got a little upset about the Baracuda thing.....

phenomemom said...

That's really what he said. "Pretty"? I must have missed that one. He's a moron, I have to say it. I try to just like who I like and vote for who I want to vote for, and keep pretty tight-lipped (I've changed a lot over the years, huh??) but sometimes.. I don't know.

Ellen talked about the cruelty of putting lipsticks on pigs and her deadpan delivery was way funnier. ;)