Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Palin in Comparison...



I'm feeling particularly masochistic tonight, watching Sarah Palin's address to the Republican National Convention. I must not have fulfilled my monthly quota of pablum, "aw, shucks-ism", late to the party Hillary worship, and empty jingoism. At any rate, I almost gagged when the GSWLF (I couldn't leave the "I'd" in the acronym, so I've substituted "some would" instead) introduced her family, and especially her hubby. "After twenty years, he's still my guy!" Bleah.

I guess the thing ringing emptiest to me is the screeching cries of the Republicans of sexism on the part of Democrats: that somehow we are implying she can't find time for her five children if she is Vice President. Frankly, if she were to treat the job of VP the way it's supposed to be treated--as opposed to Cheney's de facto shadow President--she is eminently qualified, as a former beauty pageant champion. Shouldn't the VP job really be window dressing? And if she were VP, maybe she'd have more time to spend with her kids than she has as governor, doing all sorts of important parental things, like, oh, I don't know...talking to them?

I love her snotty witticisms. I love how she toes the party line of perpetuating fear in order to garner votes.

I love how she refers to herself as a "gal". I love how the idiotic sheep in the audience keep chanting "Drill, baby, drill!" Mmmm. Let's drill our way out of this particular set of problems.

I love how this crowd is whipped into a frenzy by such an apparent lightweight. It gives me hope for the next eight years, because we simply can't be stupid enough to fall for this again...can we?

4 comments:

SJ said...

Politics is really becoming the new Reality TV show! It is all just been a little too much fun lately.

The Buck Shoots Here said...

You may have just saved our marriage by changing that I to SW...

love you!

phenomemom said...

I knew in a heartbeat (pardon the pun) when her daughter's pregnancy was "outed" that it would turn into an abortion debate. Conservative Republicans are uber predictable. Her daughter's not a saint because she's marrying the baby daddy. I give the marriage 6 months. Just my opinion. What do I know?

Obama's wife was on Ellen today. She's pretty funny. Her daughter needs to start growing in her adult teeth though. She sorta reminds me of Gollum at the moment.

Unknown said...

I'm a Michelle Obama fan. I almost wish she were running...maybe next time.