Monday, November 10, 2008

It's Not Really a Celebration

I saw pieces of this video on the NBC Nightly News tonight, and felt I needed a place I could get back to it and watch it when I wanted to. Earlier tonight, Cheerchick said "I don't think we should celebrate Veterans Day." I asked her why, and she said "Because we shouldn't have the war in the first place." Though I couldn't agree with her more on that point, I asked whether she thought it was important to remember all those people who have died in wars. She said yes, it is important to remember them. I then explained that we don't really "celebrate", but we remember the sacrifices made by people who have served our country in the military.

There will be some deep and amazing discussions in the not too distant future as my kids attempt to figure out when--or if--war is ever justified. Unfortunately, I think war is part of our DNA, but the idealist in me says if we didn't have willing warriors, we couldn't have war. And then, of course, there are the battles that have to be joined, even when we're reluctant, because evil must be met head-on. I only hope that we are entering a phase of foreign policy where we will only enter righteous battles. I am tired of any blood--American or otherwise--being spilled needlessly.

At any rate, this video grabbed me. Black and white. No sound. And it is real.

1 comment:

SJ said...

Check out my latest blog, I awarded you my brand new blog award.