Friday, October 1, 2010

Don't Call Them Twinkies


With my Red Sox out of the playoff picture, and nearly all the other teams left on my short list of most-despised teams (though the Padres and Giants are fine, Texas is okay, and the Reds have suffered some horrible times since their last go-round) the Twins are my team this October.  Incidentally, I can't wait to hear Dane Cook utter those immortal words: "There's only one...Oc-TOE-berrr!" I hope that brilliant campaign hasn't been mothballed, even though I think it's been Dane's only paying gig over the past four years or so.

So it was kind of cool to hear the Baseball Project, a supergroup of alt-rocker/baseball fans (Peter Buck, Scott McCaughey, Linda Pitmon, and Steve Wynn), had enlisted Craig Finn of the Hold Steady to write and sing a song with them.  The result is predictably contrived, as will be a band that sings only about baseball, but it is obviously written with love and with Finn's inimitable pop-culture referential style.  Whatever, for what it is, it sure kicks the hell out of "Play Ball",  and "Sweet Caroline".  I'll still put "Tessie" and "Dirty Water" up against it--or maybe along-side it--but I envy the Twins their playoff run and the love of one of their bigget fans, Craig Finn.  Click to hear the new best baseball rock anthem, in Hold Steady style:


No comments: