Monday, March 17, 2008

I'll Never Sell Out

Why is everyone in the blog world selling out? Follow the money.

In a recent post on Amity, etc., we little guys got a whiff of the big time, with a photo of her check from the nameless, faceless blog corporation. Our little clicky thumbs (and index fingers, for those of you who are tethered to a desk or a mouse) are paying for her lattes, people!

But it doesn't end there: you know who else is making money off this? The Digital Backpacker makes no bones about having sold out to "the man", collecting fractions of pennies per click.

And just recently, Chad Finn of "Touching All the Bases" fame has signed on with Boston.com, the digital branch of the Boston Globe.

Well one thing you can count on is Weather Boy keepin' it real. Content in this space will always be free of the interest groups, unbeholden to any Washington power brokers, or backroom lobbyists. This will always be a blog "of the people, by the people, and for the people". Unless my counter starts to move into the double digits. Then I might have to reconsider.

Edit: it is now 3:30 on St. Patrick's Day, the family is at dance class, and I am home readying the corned beef boiled dinner. Black 47 is cranked up in my house, and I am in a kind of Irish-Punk bliss. If you've ever enjoyed Flogging Molly, The Pogues, Dropkick Murphys--any of the Celtic fauxlk punk, check 'em out. I've added the song that was closest to a hit on American radio for them, "Funky Ceilidh", on my Last.fm widget. Enjoy your cabbage, everyone.

4 comments:

Beth said...

Bad news, weather boy--people like us with brains the color of the sky can never exploit our thoughts for money--it's just not in us.
Beth

Unknown said...

:-) Especially with minds that are as expansive as the sky...it won't all fit in one little blog!

Mike said...

I'm innocent!

I never finished the paperwork.

The digitaltrail is still public land.

I tried it, but I didn't inhale!

Unknown said...

Phew, that's a relief. I'd be afraid you'd go all corporate on us...you do like some corporations, I hear...