Sunday, April 13, 2008

And the Award Goes To...


Listening to "Wait, Wait..." yesterday, host Peter Sagal announced that the show has been nominated for a Webby Award in the comedy category. He, of course, suggested that it would be somewhat gauche to beg for votes, but that we should go check out the website.

Well, I did, and what an eye-opening experience! It takes a few minutes to sign in, but once you do there are numerous choices to make. I skipped a few categories since I had no interest or no background, but there were some old, familiar faces as well. There were a number of new (to me) websites that I bookmarked, and you can be sure I will be visiting regularly. One is dedicated to those passive aggressive notes that people leave for others. Who thinks of these things? Then there is the World Without Oil homepage. I wish I'd known about the game when it started, but there is some good reading to be had nonetheless. Then there's this thing, which I can't even begin to explain but it's pretty cool. It's easy to spend lots of time there, and it's not mind numbing. They got my vote. The final one I'll show you is Kiva, where people like you and me can provide loans to entrepreneurs worldwide to help fight poverty (why not get pickpocketed and cut out the middle man?) But seriously, I love this kind of initiative.

Once I got over my initial shock that the RVB was unrepresented in the Webby Award nominations, I found lots of cool and interesting things. Maybe one of these years one of us will show up, but in the mean time, go to the Webby Awards site and vote. This website was successful in pushing MPBN's pledge drive over the top (and I've got the counter to prove it!) so maybe our voices can help determine internet excellence. And while we're at it, maybe we could think up some categories for our own little RVB Webbies...

1 comment:

The Buck Shoots Here said...

I guess what sites like this show me is that I am not your average internet surfer: too many buttons to click = closing the lid. You, however, right up your alley.

I guess I need to go back to 1985, before Al Gore got us into this mess.