Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Blogging Live From the MEA Conference

Silly me, I forgot my camera so I can't share any pictures of Southern Maine Community College, so I've linked it. Amazing how this place has changed since the mid 90's when I came down to apply for a youth mentoring position. It's Tuesday, and my Web2.0 workshop began at 2 pm, and I'm feeling a little too proficient. After all, I have a blog, I have a MySpace account (never use it) and I'm not YouTube phobic. I was hoping there would be people here who were using Web2.0 in classrooms, but mostly it's people who are just progressing beyond email. No problem. There are some cool things that go along with the presentation that I can take home.

We're also moving toward talking about using Web2.0 applications for association issues. That could be very useful to the Dirigo Education Association, sharing information and ideas between leadership and membership. Lord knows we can use that.

I am commuting during this conference, because of my aforementioned Conceptual Physics class. I know that if I were to stay down here I'd end up frittering away my time, not doing my physics work, not being able to use my equipment at school. This way I can spend an hour and a half driving each way for the next three days, then frittering away my time in the comfort of my own living room. Easy peasy!

But seriously, I found a cool way for me to use that time effectively: I'm listening to my Richard Muller "Physics for Future Presidents" lectures on iTunes while I commute! This week we are talking about waves, light and sound. The Muller lectures will be my companion for the week.

Tomorrow and Thursday I will be in the "New Leaders Academy". Somehow I feel like the Politburo is molding me to the will of the party, and I am becoming part of the apparatchik. I'm simply not good at making my mind play along with these activities. Is it weird that I'd really rather be working on my physics?

3 comments:

The Buck Shoots Here said...

If you're still connected... I"m home now. Can't wait to help you fritter away some time!

Amity said...

umm...didn't you take the geek quiz?

phenomemom said...

I know you meant it sincerely. :)

All this talk of physics.. it's starting to scare me.